Saturday, August 9, 2008

Summer Flowers and Thrifty Finds


I love
flowers!!!


I love planting, watering, and growing flowers. I discovered this love when we lived in Silver City, NM and we finally had a yard at our rental house. I had know idea what I was doing and I still don't, but every spring we would buy a container of wild flower seed mix and plant it. I thought I was going to die when we moved from our house in NM to an apartment in NV and I had no yard, not even a sunny spot on my porch to plant flowers. But, now we have a house and I am filling every bare spot in the yard with peranniuals and bulbs. I think I got my love for gardening from my Grandma Smith I remember how beautiful her yards were, from the green lawns to the tiers of flower beds she had in her back yard. During her funeral a story was told about when my grandpa brought her over to the United States from England (this was just after WWII), as the story goes she began to cry the further south they drove all that she could see was brown desert all around her. Honestly I can't even imagine her shock coming from beautiful green/wet England to dry Arizona. Any-how here are some pictures from my yard, I do have to say that Black-eyed Susans and Red Geraniums are my all time favorite flowers. But now that we are back in Arizona I have to be more water wise and find some drought resistant flowers that I can love.





Look at my
thrifty finds

Look what I found at the thrift store..... I know I know I am a little weird but I love to find things like this "Vintage" chair and these pictures. It really does make me so sad when I think about how our society is so wasteful, I know I am not totally innocent but I love it when I can make one persons trash into my treasure. Here are some sites I love to check out freshvintage, nesting place, junk market, and one womens cottage life





6 comments:

appreciable said...

These are beautiful flowers! Thank you for sharing these photos with us.

BipolarBunny said...

Very pretty pictures.

BeckyinQC said...

I had no idea you had such a green thumb! Your flowers are beautiful. By the way, I think being able to find "treasures" at second hand stores is a talent. I never have the eye for it. I've tried several times with no success. I bet if someone else picked it out for me - I would like it though. Very cute stuff!

Kirstyn said...

What a talented girl you are. Not only do you grow the most amazing flowers, can spot a great piece at a second hand store, but you are also quite a photographer. When we get back to AZ we'll have to hang out so I can learn all your tricks:)

Kirstyn said...

What kind of camera do you have? I so need a new camera and yours does really well.

Kirstyn said...

Hey, I just really love this post, I gotta keep coming back. I just saw on the calendar that it was your birthday. Hope you have a good one. 32 is it?